Missions 101: How God Speaks
This video is about having a relationship with God and how conversation flows out of all relationships. God wants to speak to us, and we need to learn how to listen. In this teaching session, we want to first build a common understanding of how God speaks to us, and then how to discern what he is saying.
Exercise:Answer this question (either individually or in a group discussion): "What is the most interesting way that God has ever spoken to you? How did you know?"
Review with the group how you can tell whether or not God is speaking to you. Think of a time when you or someone else heard God speak and use these questions to test it:
- Was it a clear word or just an idea or impression? In other words, how confident are you that it was God?
- Does it exalt Christ? (John 16:14)
- Is it scriptural? Scripture is our authority. God does not contradict himself. (Proverbs 30:5-6)
- Do other Christians confirm it? Share what you've heard and see if others heard something similar. (Proverbs 15:22 and 2018)
- Does it actually happen? (Isaiah 55:11, Deuteronomy 18:21-22)